Sunday, May 4, 2008

The Guarani get to shine! =)

Alright guys, I know this blog is late, but I’ve been on pain meds and antibiotics for the past two days that have left me feeling more sick and not to mention the dopiness. When I tried to finish this, I was fading away, so I thought it was better to go to bed and pick up where I left off in the morning.

My research project: addresses the exploitation of the Guarani people, from whom the land of their fathers’ is taken, the horrible manners in which this is done so. Then, how these tribes are relocated onto tiny pots of land, where up to 200 are expected to live and supply food for themselves. This deplorable conditions sometimes force the men to work for the enemy (land developer/ranchers) in order to save their families. The link between the environment, and its value due to lumber, fertility, and land for livestock, and how the racism and disregard for this indigenous people has caused great suffering, driven them to higher suicide rates, and even, alienation from “modern” villages.

This environment is comprised of the rainforests, ranging from Paraguay, Bolivia, Argentina, and the Amazon of Brazil. I go on to explain the effects of outside contact that has been going on for centuries. In the 16th century the conquistadores, who captured countless Guarani for slavery, and in the 17th century when the Jesuit missions started, where Guarani were converted to Christianity in order to escape slavery, but were also victims of mass genocide. After a few battles, those that survived returned to the rainforests of their ancestors to start over again. Then the land development spiked in South America in the 1980’s, leading the Guarani down the path of devastation.

Why am I writing about this? Well apart that I came across this and just became incredibly intrigued; the more I learn about it the more angry I feel. I have developed a sort of passion for it, and I believe that it is very important when you are writing a paper like this. I wish to do my part in spreading awareness…that those imported cabinets may have cost the life of an eleven year old girl.

My audience: Well, like I said before: To anyone who will lend their ears and take in this message. I write for readers, not myself. (although I do tend to lag on here) My papers are not just for the teacher, they’re for anyone who would pick them up and be able to understand the concept being explained.

As for types of sources: I have an excerpt in an anthropology textbook that was written specifically to address issues of conformity and conflict, and the racism they experience thanks to the environmental development. It was done by an ethnographic researcher, who gathered firsthand information. This was my inspiration. Then, there are the internet sources, which include historical and cultural information. I have information from the Association of Nhandeva, which is a indigenous study focused on this Guarani tribe. I also have documentations from Bolivia describing the cheap, hard labor the Guarani endure in hopes of having clothes on their backs and a plate of food come mealtime. One site, Survival International, makes it their mission to give names and faces to suffering tribal peoples around the world. They venture to speak to them and protest with them. Their news articles give these people voices, opens the world’s eyes and keeps us updated as to their successes and pitfalls. I also have news articles from Brazilian magazines, and international newspapers.

For my section two, I researched Guarani kinship systems, a bit more on their customs and lives. I found some anthropological articles on Jstor on the subjects. I want to really get into character for this one. It’s so much fun. But hey, I can always search for more concerning these matters.

My working thesis: well I usually find the perfect words as my paper progresses, although I already know what it’s about, but so far:

“ Due to this economic shift to cattle raising and interest in lumber, the Guarani continue to suffer at the hands of change as they have for generations.”

Jocelyn =)

1 comment:

Doctor X said...

You have a great topic.

THESIS so far: “ Due to this economic shift to cattle raising and interest in lumber, the Guarani continue to suffer at the hands of change as they have for generations.”--a good description of the problem, but you need more of an argument (that's why the audience is important). Are you trying to call someone to act? To convince someone? Or is this just reporting the facts (if so, to whom)?

In other words, you may want to focus more on the solutions (once you know what they may be)