Saturday, March 29, 2008

One vs. The Whole

Believe me, I like the idea of having my own independent thoughts. I am fully aware that I am not a lone entity, but part of something more. Our actions effect others, while theirs effect us. A person decides to jump into the subway tracks after their new iphone, we'll be on the receiving end of the delays due to his recklessness. If another person donates $5 million dollars to a children's center, they will alter the course of several children's lives. Because the center could now afford computers, a new generation of software programmers are born.

Society works much like a well oiled machine. Each individual, role, and action form a part of its inner workings. The key concept here, however, is that it works as a whole. It is not a phenomena that social roles seem to reproduce themselves generation after generation. Each person has their part.

We are all interconnected and the "world" is incredibly small. How to explain this connection, and oh yes, interdependency? Well, for one, I wouldn't have the clothes I was wearing today. Someone had to invest in the clothing company, build the factory, work in it, distribute the clothing and deliver it to the store where I initially bought it from. Obviously, this process did not take just one person. Hmmm...I should whip out the Thank you cards.

Although I could walk to school in about twenty minutes, I chose the train, which evidently turned out to be a bad decision. The train was thirty minutes late, and the second train was going Express, so I would have to transfer in order to return. This was horrible, because it was only a stop away in the first place. From the top: I would not have the option of taking mass transit if no one had laid down the tracks, constructed the train cars and if there were no conductors. I was so upset that the train was late, I never even thought to appreciate the people who made this all possible.

I do not have a printer at home, so I have to use the LaGuardia library's printers. Because I was late to school, printing my homework would make me later to class. Personally, I commend the school's extensive lab services. There are easily five times more computers available in the LaGuardia E building alone, than in my old high school. I am indebted to the people who provide those computers through funds, and donations. They were literally investing in our futures. I take full advantage of these facilities and tell all of you, my fellow students, to do so as well. The library printers have served me for countless assignments, and for that I will be forever grateful.

I also had lunch with my friend, who happens to be involved with the student government. I was invited to his birthday party, along with my boyfriend, and he told me how he will be sending a mass text message to 400 students from the campus to join in the festivities. So I will be taking part in a celebration comprised of students that must pass me in the hallway all the time, that I may have class with, and who I may have stood between on the cafeteria line. =) Who knows? 400 people, 400 possibilities. This invitation isn't only a fun idea because I haven't been to a party in ages, but develops a connection between the host and his invitees.

Lastly, on a chivalrous note, I would like to mention that after buying a bag of dog food, I was walking toward the door when a stranger rushed up to it, and opened it for me. I actually looked up, and paused for a moment. I said, " Thank you.", and went on my merry way. I guess what got to me most was that he wasn't even going into the store. It was just a random act of kindness.

This brings me to this quote:
"...we enshrine the self as the unit of ethical account, separate and distinct not just from the natural world but even from a sense of obligation to others--not just others in future generations, but increasingly even to others in the same generation." - Al Gore Earth in the Balance, pg 241

Drawing from these examples, try to explain why is it that we instead "enshrine the self as the unit of ethical account" (basically, what "I" consider "right" or "wrong" originates with what "I" want only), and forget all the people to whom we owe our lives?

I think that we as humans are not only selfish creatures but fearful ones. Many fear the thought that we alone can cause great change. That our actions have consequences. Well, I guess it could have alot to do with denial as well. Thoughts of,"What I do doesn't matter" or "Oh, c'mon. What's gonna happen?", spring to mind.

It makes me think of the philosopher, Jean-Paul Sartre and how he argued that a free man was entirely responsible for his actions and should understand that his decisions effect others around him. This idea uncovers the great connection that we all share. That our decisions correlate with others decisions.

Having the power to effect others is not something many people want to hold up to. You would have to take into account that what are considered "ethical values" have been badgered into you by your society, and that you have the choice to follow them or not; that others livelihood are literally in your hands. It would call for humanity to be more united. To put aside race, gender, religion, and preference.

It would mean that we would have to accept and appreciate one another more. Acknowledge that our quality of living would not be the same if others were not on some invisible plane manning the switches. This truth is too hard to collectively accept just yet. The world is not ready...no, its people are not ready to break barriers, admit dependence, and take responsibility for their faults.

Jocelyn =) Mind your manners boys and girls.

2 comments:

Fletcher said...

Well, it's taken one year and none months of time spent at LaGuardia, but it finally happened.

A collegue of mine quoted Satre.

My hat (metaphorically speaking) comes off to you, my dear.

Doctor X said...

Lovely post. And of all the excellent points you made, I think I will emphasize one: American society is based on NOT ADMITTING we are dependent on each other. We are one scared and scary culture that denies the basic fact of human connection.