Sunday, March 16, 2008

Buried Six Feet Under...but still breathing.

Well, I am kind of continuing my second Blog. I thought that some people may be scared off by the sheer volume of my response to the homework question, so I thought that a little rant about things that annoyed me this week should appropriately have its own section. It gives your eyes a break as you move from part one to part two lolz =) I posted the homework part a few hours ago and no one has commented so I suspect I might have gone overboard =/ (let me know) Well, first off the homework assignment about collecting our trash for a day and a half. Professor Gallardo said it was only about ten bags of garbage, and when we went into M-111 to separate the waste from the recyclable, the results were disappointing. Some of the things we thought could be reused couldn’t be…the more to throw away. There was more garbage, including the bags they were in, than what could be recycled…and it was only a day and a half.

We, Americans, just seem to waste so much and replace so easily. Never take into account the consequences of our actions, or uphold our responsibility to the environment…I was walking to the QueensPlaza station looking at all the garbage that lined the fence and gutters. I realized I had my camera and took a few photos of what it is we do with our garbage. Most of it was paper and plastic. Would it have hurt the person to have put it in a blue bin? No. A rose bush’s branches has also become home to a Pepsi bottle, someone must have found that very amusing. Why? It is really upsetting.


One great example was last Sunday, I had decided to stay in bed for a little while longer than usual. I saw a dark shape move along the top of the tree outside my window, so I sat up to see if it was a large bird. Much to my dismay…it was a rather large plastic bag. The wind kept it going along the roofs…my only hope is that it doesn’t end up in the ocean like countless others before it. There they are confused with jellyfish by porpoises, who readily devour them. http://www.k12.nf.ca/swiftcurrent/gei/opollution.html

Then, the next I watched as the printer in the school library went haywire and began spewing out paper at the students standing beside it. While my friend found the scene quite amusing, all I kept saying was, “What a waste of paper.” That is why he has renamed me “Super Hippie”. =) I mean what is the point of printing out a Power Point presentation? If it consists of your class notes, then you should have written it down or copy down what you missed. Or if you really, so desperately, need that Power Point, put it on Microsoft Word and resize the slides to fit many on a page, while still being legible. I find myself minimizing the font to size 8 when printing out research, in order to save more paper.

I just feel that we do so many pointless things…like the Professor said, “Humans are not logical.” Even looking through the newspaper this week, further disappointed me in my own species. The article about global warming is on page four about 2” x 3”, while an article about a woman who had her skin become fused to a toilet after remaining on it for two years, is on page two about 7” by 5”. Our priorities are beyond screwed up and we need someone or something to make us straighten them out(unfortunately).

Maybe the new president could do something…*sighs* One could only dream. (-_-) Maybe something can be done about our escalating gas prices. My best friend commented to me yesterday that he never thought he’d see the day when gasoline would cost more than milk…but hey in some parts it’s here, in others it’s coming. As gasoline prices skyrocket, agricultural products also increase. Milk included. How much are we paying now, like $4.25...it is absolutely unbelievable. We need change. We have to change. If not, we have nothing else to do but rot away with the earth around us.

Jocelyn=) A little bit of difference, goes a long way. It starts with YOU. (and you, and you, and you too!)






1 comment:

rlouisaire said...

I feel like you have a very good blog cute pics just your writing is way too long or maybe you could space it out. i just caught myself stopping after a cupple of lines. you also have evryones blog i think so yea its really good and plenty of personality :)