Saturday, April 5, 2008

Making Differences, One Blog at a Time

Well, forgive me if this entry lacks some energy, but I am feeling particularly under the weather. The blogs, however, served as some upliftment for they expressed genuine interest in the global issues.

For example, The Sustainable Cities Blog is in conjunction with CUNY and reports on events and seminars, as well as local news. I liked the way this blog was organized because it pointed out things that are effecting New Yorkers everyday. The MTA, statistics about how climate change will affect our region, and the intergration of more non-white researchers. Although, these topics correlate with environmentalism, I didn't feel a connection between the blogger and I. I felt that the topics were just being reported and informational.

The GristMill also has this reportative kind of feel. It is a base for "environmental news and commentary". I really liked the most recent article about carbon dioxide levels in the ocean and how it is changing the face of photosynthesis as we know it. Funny enough, we just started the topic of photosynthesis in my Biology class, so I plan to post this link on our discussion board. Overall, it gave me the same impression as the first. I did find the post weird in a way, I don't know, all the ...'s, I wasn't sure if he was just putting down excerpt's from the article or his own thoughts. Again, it was interesting but not as intriguing as I had hoped.

Let's see, for Green as a Thistle , I really felt like Vanessa was really trying to reach her audience. She's funny and most importantly, honest, so as you follow her journey you can't help but cheer her on. She mentions a book deal, so of course, you guys know I'm getting that! I thought her entries showed how she changed as a person, as well as how she changed her lifestyle. I plan to read some more entries, and keep up with her updates.

Now, No Impact Man was really interesting. Knowing that he is trying to do this in New York City of all places, really gives off a sense of allure. I love how he mentions bringing along his " baby daughter, and Prada wearing, Four Seasons- loving wife" for the ride. The rent-a-toys scheme is something I hope will take off, and I will try to find one organization that does it in Manhattan. Well, it was his blog that I commented on. His point about establishing "a materials economy based on things that last instead of things designed to be thrown away", really reminded me of standing in line at the store and looking at a wall and seeing disposable cameras, pens, eating ware, cell phones and lighters. I just don't see why most of these things have to be disposable, we can reuse things like this. Use a regular camera: replace film or memory card, refill pens, wash dishes and utensils (don't be lazy) and refill lighters. I guess if we did these things the manufacturers wouldn't make any money then, right?

Lastly, the Eco Geek is also an informative blog, but the way it is written shows alot more personality than the prior blogs. The information about the waterheaters, hybrid cars, and energy sufficient houses was put across not only with facts but with a supportive opinion. He even mentions things he disagrees with. So it goes to show that although it might mean green, it doesn't necessarily mean its a full-proof idea.

I guess that's a little about each of the blogs. Short and sweet, which is new for me lolz
Hope you enjoy. I plan to check up on each of these regularly to follow any new issues that I may miss. To all my fellow ranters, Goodnight.

Jocelyn =)

1 comment:

Doctor X said...

Hey--short and sweet but also good. I'd be interested in knowing what you think about No Impact Man as you keep on reading his blog. He also has a book deal (and a movie!) coming out apparently--check his left-hand column.