Saturday, April 12, 2008

Oh no! My Reese's!!

Hmmm, let’s see what has changed over these last six weeks… As I have mentioned before I have always cared about the environment and acknowledged the effects of global warming. I have done my best to apply energy saving techniques at home and share my beliefs with the younger generations.

I guess that watching Gore’s film, The Inconvenient Truth, along with reading the book, really struck a cord with me. I had heard of the poor drowning polar bears, of the glaciers disappearing, of storms and heat waves getting worse, but the harsh reality that we would be seeing the “Day after Tomorrow” effects in less than another hundred years left me thinking.

I had actually had a conversation with my mother about the issues, and at one point even thought that maybe bringing a child into this world wouldn’t be a good idea. I mean, my children’s children could be living in the disastrous wasteland that lies ahead of us. My mother argued that if more people thought like me, maybe we would solve the population problem. Then, she added that she REALLY wanted a grandchild though…”Maybe one”, I said. =)

So I guess I am just more scared, than I was before. I sound like a lunatic, ( my mother says =) ) talking about how if we don’t change it’ll be the end of the world as we know it.

Another point, is a question the professor had asked us earlier on, “Do believe that we will eventually be a utopia or a dystopia?” I said that I reserved a bit of hope, that I hadn’t seen too much willingness in the public, but that maybe, just maybe, there would be a day that we would be more environmentally conscious.

After reading the five blogs for Blog 5, and checking out those of my fellow classmates, I have to say that my hope is stronger and steadier than before. Universities, corporations, and regular people, like us, are worried about what’s going on, and are trying to get the word out there. There are so many solutions being outlined, new problems being discovered, and the prospect of a new world on the horizon.

As of late, I have seen a boom of commercials and ads about recycling, being “green”, and even the Sundance channel is giving way to a slew of environmentally friendly programs. In the train, at school, on billboards, during my favorite shows, the showering of advertisements telling us that we must do our part to protect this world. There are angles about great savings in the long run, healthier and happier lives, and being “green” as a fashionable trend. Hey, I still say “Green is the new Black.”, and I’m going to get my slogan printed on a second-hand t-shirt. Lol I’m going to patent that!

The group project provided more insight that religion and spirituality could be used to enlighten people. Certain religious ethics are trying to be implemented in environmental education and conservation projects. People sometimes find these ideas more relatable to everyday life, and accept them more readily.

So all in all, this has been an wonderful experience and an eye opener as well. I look forward to our trip to the museum and want to check out the water exhibit as well. The research project seems like its going to a fun and interesting undertaking.

Where is this all taking me, you ask? Well, in Fall 2008 LaGuardia is hoping to start an Environmental Science course, and I am so in! I will continue being my “super hippie” self, as my friends call me, and keep propelling toward a career where I can make a difference.

Jocelyn =) “Stop global warming now, or all the Reese’s will melt.”

1 comment:

Doctor X said...

Yay! I am so glad we'll have an environmental science class and that you will be in it; you gotta let me know how it goes.

Plus you just KNOW that there is going to be a TON of well-paying jobs related to the environment pretty soon. For all you know, you could join Gore's educators in the future